The Knights Templar was given land in Llangarewi by King Henry II in 1180. These warrior monks immediately rebuilt the Saxo-Celtic Church in the usual circular nave and square chancel style (imitation of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem). The chancel survives but the circular have has only been revealed through excavation. The detached fortress like tower was later built as a place of safety during Welsh border raids. James de Molay visited this church in 1294.